Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Hangzhou Fuyang Hotel

This year is a little different in that I am staying at the Hangzhou Fuyang Hotel. It has a grand entrance way, antiques, a lovely fishpond, a VIP room for dinners and very popular restaurant that the town frequents for dinner. Although the grandeur of the place has faded over the years with neglected upkeep, it has air conditioning, clean rooms, and sit toilets. Certainly a bonus in China!

I still have a room with a view that I very much enjoy. I look out onto lush green trees that positively radiate with the amazingly loud sounds of the cicadas, especially right around dawn and dusk. I can still see the Fuchun River, the distinctive curve of Chinese rooves, and the new bridge with its steady flow of traffic.

I’m still in walking distance to the river and enjoy my morning ritual walk. It gives you insight into the city, not otherwise visible. The homeless are still asleep as the town wakes up and goes out to exercise before the heat of the day. I’ve missed the Chinese kung fu this year and haven’t joined in on the Tai Chi or dance lessons yet. I am a regular at the exercise park and compete with the old men for access to the equipment with bolts.

The only this that slows down the morning crowd is the torrential rain, of which we have had more of this summer. It starts to rain and people run for cover. One morning a woman tried to give me her umbrella, she was so distressed to see me unprotected in the rain. Even my trusty, somewhat soggy pocket dictionary couldn’t help me explain that Vancouverites are like ducks and do fine in the rain, especially when it’s still warm. The rain has slowed me down in the morning. I manage to sleep later and miss my walk.

Hotel life has familiarized me with the Chinese breakfast buffet. It includes squash, bok choi type vegetables, soups, boiled eggs, thousand year old eggs, banana bread, steamed buns, corn of the cob, rice, egg fried rice, watermelon and more. I did try ordering “flat eggs” a couple of mornings but have come to the conclusion that it’s best to let them stick to what they know best. It’s amazing what you can get used to.

I certainly do appreciate having someone else do my ironing. I’m quite pleased that the room is not equipped for me to accomplish this task on my own. I’m also not missing cooking, doing dishes, taking out the garbage or taking care of anyone but myself! Although I’m technically working, it makes for quite the holiday!

No comments: