Saturday, March 23, 2013

English Cuisine



I think perhaps English food gets a bad rep due the reference to "French Cuisine" and "The Art of Italian dining.". The weather has in every way brought to life, Jane Austen's frequent references to dark and stormy nights, complete with gale force winds and sheeting rain.  In the midst of "the coldest March since the year of my birth," my aunt and I have enjoyed each and every breakfast, tea time, and dinner. 

Having a grandmother with Scottish/ English roots and my fast friend/ mentor with English/ Scottish roots, tea time has been a constant in my life.  After a hello kiss, the kettle was put on.  It has taken me through ordinary visits, grand celebrations and the times of ultimate despair.  With my current administrator, again with similar roots, tea guarantees my passage through each day at work.  Drink tea and Carry On.

In England, they understand that the quality of the tea matters and that the perfect accompaniment is a fresh baked scone.  Add butter, jam and clotted cream and you have a perfect break in a blustery day.  Even little diners pour a lovely spot o'tea.  And to boot, Earl Grey tea is a standard!   What more could you want.

The English Breakfast makes good sense.  You stuff yourself first thing in the morning and then have the entire day to wear it off.  At Henrietta House in Bath, we have had our most amazing breakfasts.  The juice is fresh squeezed or pressed.  There is an option of salted or unsealed butter.  The coffee is French pressed.  You begin by visiting the buffet for a choice of fresh fruit salad or stewed fruit compote, yogurt, croissants, toast, or a lovely little piece of cake.  This is followed up with a selection of 4 or 5 main courses of hot food.  The first morning I stayed with the traditional meal of sausage, bacon, two eggs and mushrooms.  There is something quite reassuring about knowing the farm where the meat comes from.  The second day, I was adventurous and had the omelet with smoked salmon and a lovely sour cream based sauce.

The Traditional English Breakfast is an interesting thing.  The tradition seems to be the two eggs, the sausage and the bacon.  The potatoes, baked beans, mushrooms or ? seem to be defined by the family tradition of the owner of the establishment.  And the prices are decided less than the same meal at Cafe Zen in Kits or anywhere else in Vancouver.   Fortunately for me, I also need to choose between sausage or bacon at home. I'll be rolling off the plane at this rate.

I'm not a grand fan of fries at home.  I eat them but I don't LOVE them.  I do LOVE chips in England.  They are always fresh and don't carry the taste of grease.  The first order of fish and chips that we ordered caught us off guard.  We have grown up eating fish and chips at the beach, but they have never actually looked like a fish in batter!  Who knew?

Hmmm.  Time to eat.  Apparently Harrod's has a nice breakfast.  I'll let you know.

No comments: