Thursday, July 24, 2008

Driving in China

This morning I headed out for my usual Fuchun River walk. When I reached the bridge, I turned right and crossed the road and proceeded along the canal until I reached a road I was afraid to cross. Driving in China is like driving nowhere else in the world. We live with the illusion in B.C. that the Chinese are bad drivers. If they have come from China, they are most likely exceptionally good drivers use to unfathomable Chinese rules. You must be aware of cars coming from all directions, even head on towards you. Italian road rules as "suggestions" are extended to a point I wouldn't have believed possible. "Borrowing" the road if others are in your way is viewed as a necessity to get where you're going. Plus the Chinese driver must be ready to judge the actions and pace of bicycles, motorized carts, pedal carts, scooters, and death defying taxi drivers. I am too faint of heart to drive in China. More frightening even that getting off the freeway at the "wrong" exit in L.A. In China, I crawl into the vehicle and do my very best not to panic when there is no accessible seatbelt or the driver decides to make a U turn into the oncoming traffic.

No comments: