Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Departure to China

Well I departed for Fuyang with three colleagues from Coquitlam on Thursday, July 3rd. Much to my own amazement, I loved the 11 and a half hour flight. I sat there and watched 5, yes 5 movies! The Other Bolyn Sister was the best but 27 Dresses made me think of Larkyn and LA Confidential made me think of Brad & Tyler- lots of gratuitous violence. They'd approve.

Our hosts met us at the airport and whisked us off to a restaurant that was far too nice for our jet lagged and very crumpled selves. Eating in China is quite an adventure. I'm certainly glad that I have some chopstick skills. Fortunately we are on the 6th floor in Principal Xu's old apartment because it feels that we spend most of our time having meals.

The apartment is on the campus of Fuyang High School, which is the most desirable school to attend, and is open to those who score the very highest on the entrance exam. The campus is very lovely and situated by a beautiful river. The first night that we arrived, I volunteered to climb the spiral staircase up to the third bedroom. To my surprise, there was a whole additional floor with another bathroom, the kitchen, an office, the sitting room, a balcony, and my nicely air conditioned room. The next morning, I discovered the additional bonus- my very lovely view of the river and the campus. Yes, for those of you that know that about me - a room with a view matters!

So far I have not done a lot of exploring. We have been busy dealing with computer issues (internet connection), planning and getting to know one another. Nancy's background is in Gifted Education, and Marian's is in ESL. Very talented teachers with lots of background knowledge. The planning process feels quite a bit like the initial stages of program planning at SFU.

Well, I must get back to it.

No comments: