Thursday, July 10, 2008

Life in Fuyang

Well, I am very excited because the internet connection has just been established in our apartment. The computer guy and I used a translation program and lots of pointing in order to communicate. The cleaning ladies who were hired to clean our apartment every two days, just stood there and watched. Technology at it's best.

Then we went downstairs to discover that the other teachers had locked the door from the outside when they went shopping. It was quite an event getting it open from the inside and I'm still not sure how the computer guy did it. No turning the lock like we would in Canada.

Our hosts are amazing and define hospitality in a new way. Ben and Jane (Hong bu) are slaves to our every whim. Ben is responsible for the middle school teachers who teach grade 7,8 and 9. He helps Marion with this group. Jane is responsible for the Primary school students who are taking English. Most of the students start English at 8 years old. She is assigned to assist Nancy and I. She also is responsible for taking us shopping, to dinner, and taking care of of all of the details like cleaning the apartment... She has hardly seen her family while we've been here. However her son is 16 years old and taking more courses during the summer to help him excel. Strong desire for that in China.

The night before last, she took us for dinner and then dropped us off to get a foot massage. Neon lights, and a whole team of people were waiting at the door. They showed us to a room with three lounges. Then they bought us cantaloupe and green tea. Then the three girls arrived and started with a big rain barrel of water for our feet. One and a half hours of working from our feet, all the way up our body. Who knew elbows, forearms, pressure points, and such could be so totally relaxing. All for $10.00 Canadian. Then the lights went out and my somewhat active imagination went into full throttle. Fortunately Jane had made arrangements and one of the girls helped us to go downstairs and flag down a cab.

Last night we had a banquet in the VIP room of the hotel that our colleague, Steve Rogers, is staying in. Principal Xu of Fuyang High School, the Education Minister, the Director of the Research Institute where we are teaching, and several other dignitaries attended to welcome the Canadian contingent. I've been surprised how open they have been about identifying the need to ask for the help needed to create a teaching population who is better equipped to teach English. There is a huge focus on developing a population that is able to communicate proficiently in the English speaking world.

As soon as I have figured out how, I will post pictures of the food we ate last night. The presentation was amazing. A bowl of goldfish in the middle of the table and gorgeous floral arrangements also decorated the table. As usual, the leaders ordered many of the local delicacies for us to try. They also served some Western dishes and everyone tried their hands at using a knife and fork for those dishes. Because we were not able to choose our own dishes, I tried sea cucumber and duck tongue. They were not my favorite dishes, but it certainly makes for a good story!

For the first time in my life, I have become a beer drinker. It is cold, and wet, and ligher than any other beer that I've tried. I have been amazed by the quality of the red wine. I guess it's because we don't have a section for Chinese wine in the liquor store. Of course the wine we had last night was expensive, but we also had a not bad bottle of $3.00 wine the other night!

The shopping in China is amazing, as you would expect. Yesterday the girl selling me my purse, squealed and jumped up and down when I got it. Even thought I suspect I was not getting the best deal, I was still paying a fraction of what I'd spend at home. The only thing that creates a fair amount of dismay in my life is the fact that I play the role of the gentle giant here. I took off my shoe yesterday to show the girl the size. Five sales girls quickly surrounded me and gasped at how big my foot was and started shaking their heads - no mammoth sizes on sale there! Then there was the XXXL shirt that was just a little too small. I did feel good that the XL pajamas that I was presented with last night, did fit. Nothing like sleeping in silk!

I have 29 students who teach 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13 year olds. We are the first language English speaking people who they have ever talked to. The range of language skills is quite large. The most proficient speakers teach the older students. I love my group. They are very receptive to learning the language and they work hard. They are a much easier crowd than the PDP crew at SFU.

The Fuchun River is quite a hub of activity. Every night, huge masses of people stroll along the boardwalk (which is actually made of stone - Pebblewalk???) Dancing for exercise is very popular. People of all ages do complex line dances. Our Jane, our guide, is a master. She is very graceful and knows an incredible amount of dances. People also go into the swimming pool and tea house, which is actually a big smorgasbord of food. Nothing like an English tea house.

At the beginning of the week, I planned a fieldtrip to the Fuchun River so we could develop vocabulary for my poetry unit. Interestingly enough, teachers are not allowed to take students outside of the classroom during school hours. Never even occurred to me. As we were walking, I turned to look at my group and a car nearly hit me. Wild and crazy time driving in Fuyang. Traffic rules are suggestions and generally ignored. People fluidly move from lane to lane, and traffic lights are often ignored. People drive into oncoming traffic and pedestrians take their lives into their hands when crossing the street. Three wheeled bikes with large carts, scooters, bikes with multiple passangers weave in and out of traffic with as much tenacity as the cars. However the teachers loved the experience and have written some great poems. AND we all arrived back!

The air conditioning does not reach this office, so my window is wide open. We are well off the beaten track because we are staying on the campus of the Fuyang High School. However you can hear the blare of horns, a girl doing singing exercises, birds chirping, and someone banging their pops and pans as they do their dishes in the outside troughs. What an experience.

Well I must go and get ready for the tea house. Another culinary adventure!

No comments: