Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Fuchun River

One of my favorite parts of the day is getting up early and going for a walk. At 5:15 am there are already many people out walking, a few jogging, doing Tai Chi, playing badminton or volleyball, dancing or using the fitness circuit. By 5:45, it is positively crowded. The basketball jocks are out and the other morning when I did track laps, there were 49 other people on the track with me. This morning I tried lifting my leg onto the cement banister by the river and the little old ladies were laughing because there legs were so much higher. Amazing flexibility! The fishermen are also arriving back with the first catch of the day and other people are swimming. There are also a least one or two criers (for lack of a better word) that call out from the cliffs in a big melodious voice.

Today I walked to the Post Office after school to get stamps. Fortunately I ran into a student and she helped me because most people do not speak English in Fuyang. I walked home by the river and I was surprised to find it practically deserted except for the swimmers. Many little stores by the river sell drinks and little rings for the children to play in the water with. Most of the children of the educated no longer swim in the water due to the high level of pollution. However a heck of a lot of people were swimming. Well must go to bed so I can get up for my early morning venture. Bought runners today so I'm better equipped. I paid top dollar for the ANTA runners with the backwards Nike swoosh.

No comments: